Monday, October 29, 2012

Seeking Balance

As the snow balances on the branches of a tree with grace and ease, I wonder why it is so daunting to find that simple balance in our own lives. What I have discovered is if you don't make a conscious effort to find balance you will become much like a dryer completely out of balance.

Sometimes the disaster of being out of balance is the wake-up call you need to address the lopsided life that you're living. It can mean that you're letting the stress of work take over your life, or it can mean that you've stopped taking care of yourself.

Either way, your life is no longer your own, and the only person that can take it back is you. What this means is that you have to get clear about the blocks, distractions, and way you're living that is no longer serving you. If that statement sounds overwhelming to you, it should.

This process is not for you if you expect it to happen in an hour, day, or even six weeks. Just as you can't lose weight by taking a pill, you won't be able to complete this process get an "A" and then go right back to what you were doing. This will be an ongoing journey with twists, unexpected turns and road blocks. But you will be able to garner small wins by making small changes. 

These small changes add up over time to more significant change. For me though the most significant factor is that now I feel different. I can accept when things get out of balance, and I can more easily tip things back into a better balance. The reason is that I no longer expect it to happen quickly, and I don't expect to get it perfect. I can accept when life happens, and I am aware of what helps me get back in balance.

Instead I realize that like the snow balancing on the branch, balance in your life will be temporary and fleeting. However, it will come back around if you nurture yourself and your mind, body, and spirit. All you need to do to start is take a couple minutes to breathe and recognize the beauty of the snow falling.

"You begin to do your part in the Life Pattern by doing all the good things you feel motivated toward, even though they are just little good things at first. You give these priority in your life over all the superficial things that customarily clutter human lives." --Peace Pilgrim

No comments: