Friday, August 1, 2008

Back to it

One thing that I'm learning over and over is that even when life throws a lot at you--you can't give up what you're striving to make happen. So now instead of giving up when I have a setback, when I haven't had time to get caught up or even remember what all I need to catch up on...I just get back on track. It's a major accomplishment.

I was talking to my friend Ruth about this, and we both realized that what we work on doesn't change, but maybe our progress and our recognition of the steps we've made (often baby steps) needs to be more prominent.

One thing I've focused on in my life is making it more about love versus fear. This is a theme that is repeated in all I've learned about leadership. You can either lead your life with love or with fear.

This expresses it better than I could:
"A fight is going on inside me. It is a terrible fight, and it is between two wolves. One wolf represents fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, pride, and superiority. The other wolf stands for joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside of you and every other person, too." The child thought about it for a minute and then one child asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?" The old Cherokee simply replied: "The one I feed."

I am doing my best to choose love.

No comments: