Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Embracing what you have

Embracing what you have instead of lamenting what you don't...I think times like these make this statement even more relevant. I am really working on expanding my gratitude and recognizing those who truly make the effort in relationships whether it's work or your personal life. I now realize that I have wasted some of my own time trying to make someone else change, when all that was needed was for me to change my attitude and potentially my experience of life.

The truth is we're just all starting to notice that times are tough, but sometimes the hard times create opportunities for growth and innovation. For example, my friend just realized instead of buying Krispy Cremes that she could make them with her daughter. Eating a doughnut turned into a mother and daughter moment, which translates into a new experience.

If you read books or surveys about happiness, it isn't the one with the most toys who is necessarily happy. It's the one with experiences, quality relationships, and a willingness to help others. So this holiday season, as we get closer I am going to focus on handmade gifts, helping other less fortunate than I, and on spending time with family and friends. Buying more stuff isn't going to make anyone happier, but quality time with loved ones just might.

How are you changing your life experiences? I would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: