Monday, October 13, 2008

Focus on essentials

It is interesting with the economic slowdown everyone starts talking about what's important. For example, suddenly everyone is taking notice of how they're spending their money. People I know are cutting back on extras and focusing on essentials.

Trying to understand what essentials are is the first step in this process. I am guilty of deciding that certain extras are "essential," when in all reality they just aren't. So I am going to track my spending. I started awhile back, but now I'm really going to decide was this an "extra" or an "essential". And chose more essentials with an occasional splurge.

In dieting one of the biggest success factors is how well you track what you eat. (I'm tracking my food choices, as well). For finances it is the same concept if you have to write the money spent down in your notebook suddenly you start to realize that maybe that money should go elsewhere toward paying off debt or an emergency fund.

To design your best life requires you to put in the time to track your spending, your food choices, and to find ways to enjoy life and all it has to offer without overeating or overspending. This weekend I went to my nephew Luke's birthday party. It was a blast! Then I spent time with my Grandma. It was a fairly inexpensive weekend, but the memories are priceless.

Tell me how you're finding positive ways to deal with the current economic situation. I would love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I agree, I think times like this make us examine what is important, and also realize that we need to make wise choices, plan ahead financially and save for uncertain times in the future.

mommy said...

I just wrote about how Krispy Kreme doughnuts are a luxury now, so Sophie and I made our own instead!