Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What song brings you back?



It seems that music can heal the brain. I didn't get to see the movie that illustrates this idea, "The Music Never Stopped," but it's on my list for Netflix. The movie is based on "the last hippie" case study by Oliver Sachs, neurologist and writer, whose brain research was the basis for the movie, "Awakenings".

Basically, the premise is that music heals. A beign brain tumor has left Gabriel Sawyer without most of his memory and he's prevented from forming new long-term memories. He's stuck in the past. It's music from his youth, especially the Grateful Dead, which brings him back. This gives new meaning to Deadheads.

Music is such a great way to improve your mood. I am once again trying to learn guitar, and it's a fun challenge. I didn't forget everything from my first rounds of lessons, but even so I feel like I need hand holding to figure out the technique. My playing never sounds as good as the instructor's. Even so I love it because it makes me access a different part of my brain as I learn how to play. And someday maybe people will actually want to hear me play my own songs.

Speaking of songs I love the fact you can instantly download songs. Remember when we had to buy CDs. That is so old school. Music has power and it forms the soundtracks of our lives. Who doesn't have a song that brings them back to a certain time. The song Hey Ya! will forever be linked with good times with my friend Carrie and Aspen when I lived in the Roaring Fork Valley the first time.

What song brings you back?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know Christine, In 1Samuel 16, David played on the harp for Saul and it says Saul was refreshed and well. I do believe music ministered by the Spirit of God, brings healing.