Friday, May 20, 2011

A Touching Story

The truth is that I've become an NPR junkie. I listen to it each day as I'm driving to work. On Fridays, NPR features "StoryCorps," which is basically a story told by two family members or friends about a particular meaningful part of one person's life. I've heard a father interviewed by his daughter about growing up in the depression. I've heard a story about a nun who made a difference in the lives of others, but also has a great love for baseball.

Today's story was especially touching to me. It made me cry. Stories are what connect us to each other. A story tells so much more than numbers, statistics, or straight facts. For me hearing a story like this makes all the bad news we constantly hear much more bearable. I hope that we don't forget to tell the stories that show love, demonstrate compassion and express our humanity. The story is called, "Forgiving Her Son's Killer: 'Not An Easy Thing'. I hope you enjoy it.

www.npr.org/series/4516989/storycorps

No comments: