Friday, July 15, 2011

Il Dolce Far Niente

Summertime is my favorite time of year especially in Colorado when the weather is well in a word, amazing. You can't help feeling good because the sun is shining, and everyone is in such a good mood.

The only challenge is everyone is just so busy. As we're all trying to squeeze in as much as possible in the summer it becomes overwhelming. This summer I'm planning much less, as I like to have some flexibility in my schedule. Honestly, I used to be so overscheduled that I never had free time. I'm just not willing to do that anymore.

Without freetime you can't possibly be creative or just see where the day will take you. (I know a lot of kids who are completely overscheduled...parents need to stop it). Part of this lesson was learned in Australia where people are just so much more relaxed. Americans often feel that the more they do the better.

I say that we should enjoy the summer and sometimes make it a point not to plan anything. To just enjoy. The italians say, "Il Dolce Far Niente," which means the sweetness of doing nothing. Sounds good to me. Anyone, want to take a trip to Italy?

No comments: