Monday, July 14, 2008

Catching up...

Let's be honest catching up is difficult. It is much easier to stay on task. I'm catching up on blogging, because my laptop at home isn't functioning properly. You forget what life is like without the Internet. I tried to write an entry on Friday, but no such luck.

Anyway, just to let you my few loyal readers know I have been following my plan. Yesterday, I went swimsuit shopping, which is one of the toughest shopping trips of all--truly torture. I perserved, and I found a suit with the help of my friend Sondra. Thank you! I know that it went so much better, because I've been exercising and putting in the time at boot camp, hiking, walking, and yoga (sometimes). Even so putting a suit on tells you that you've got to keep going. I'm making progress, but it just seems really slow.

The truth is that one of my strongest traits has always been perservence. I am stubborn, which maybe this time will be an asset versus a deterrent. Stubborness is definitely a two-way street. I've been thinking a lot about whether lifestyle change is about willpower. Partly, but that will only take you so far, and then you have to set some solid goals to charge ahead.

My next big goal is to complete the Glenwood Springs Triathlon on Sept. 7th. I am signing up this week, and training for the next month and a half so I can complete the race. An article on getting to your fitness goals states:

1. Name a dream goal that you're passionate about. (Bob would call this a stretch goal). This goal will give you the drive and commitment to stay the course. My current dream goal is to complete the GWS triathlon in 1:45.

2. Set realistic and challenging confidence-builder goals. Each week and month you need goals. This week my goal is to log six hours of exercise. So far two hours have been completed. Also remember to work backwards to determine the steps necessary to reach the goals. My other goal is to bring my lunch each day this week!

3. Focus on the progress. Not only should you focus on the results, but on the progress, too. For example, I haven't drank for 23 days. Though this week the alcohol fast ends with a look to moderation.

4. Know the difference between a setback and derailment. This one is so true. If you miss exercise or eat horribly don't use that as an excuse to abandon all your progress. Just dust yourself off, and get back up.

5. Recognize and celebrate your accomplishments. This week is my 7th week of bootcamp. I have made 5 out of 7 classes. And one of the classes I missed I logged an hour in the gym to make it up. I have toned up and lost a couple inches and a couple pounds.

And then repeat. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It's about a lifestyle change, which is the only change that I'm interested in making. And remind me of that when I lose my motivation. Thank you to all of you who are supporting me during this process!

No comments: