Sunday, August 14, 2011

Run don't walk to see "The Help"

Get out your tissues, because this movie will make you cry. I read the book a long time ago before it even became a sensation, and I kept telling other people to read it, too. A lot of times when a book is made into a movie I'm disappointed, but this time I really felt like they got it right.

"The Help" delivers, and it gives you a glimpse of what it was like to live in the South, during a period when separate but equal was touted and believed by many.

What makes this movie and the book so memorable and touching is that in both the book and the movie the characters are fleshed out and they come to life with color, sass, and fullness. You also feel like you are experiencing the good, the bad, and the beautiful moments right along beside them.

To be honest there wasn't a dry eye in the house. I even suspect that the guy who was dragged there by his girlfriend shed some tears, but I'm sure there was just something in his eye.

I saw the movie with my mom, which made it more special. She had read the book, too, and we both were excited and nervous to see it. We both were afraid the movie wouldn't strike the same chord as the book, but it turned out that both versions delivered.

The main theme of the movie was courage, which is something we all need a little more of in ourselves and in this world. May we all have courage when it's needed. Be couragous and be bold!

No comments: