Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Magic of Christmas Eve

So even if you aren't into Christmas there is a magic about Christmas Eve. It is all about anticipation. My family's tradition on Christmas Eve is to open one present and save the rest for the next morning (if my nephews are around). When it's just adults I will admit that sometimes we open everything on Christmas Eve so we can sleep in on Christmas morning.


Sleeping in is a gift that's enough. That way you can wake up refreshed. So here in Vail I just saw that we've gotten seven feet of snow in the last two weeks. That's impressive. That means about a 1/2 a foot per day...sounds about right.


After awhile you start to settle into driving in the snow. It becomes a rite of passage. On Christmas Eve and Christmas morning though the beauty of the white stuff is undeniable. And after seeing Happy Christmas everywhere in Australia during the summer, I have to admit that it just makes more sense in the winter.


I was talking to an Australian who has never seen snow. She couldn't understand my attachment to a white Christmas. She heads to the beach for a barbeque. Sounds good, but it just doesn't sound right. Ask me again in late February how I feel about it!

No comments: