Thursday, March 31, 2011

Read this book!


So I'm recommending a book to read. It's "A Discovery of Witches," by Deborah Harkness. I know that some of you know that I devoured all of the Twilight series books. Guilty. These types of books are my guilty pleasures. Those of you who know me well also know that I read literature and nonfiction books of substance as well. So I'm not apologizing for falling for this book about an Oxford history professor and reluctant witch, Diana Bishop, who falls in love with a vampire.

Note in a stroke of genius, Harkness makes Diana a Bishop, which means she's related to Bridget Bishop, who was a witch in the Salem Witch Trials. This gives her witch lineage a boost, and it gives her a certain cache among other witches, as well.

The book that draws Diana and Peter, the 1500-year old vampire, together is a bewitched alchemical manuscript from the 1500s. Diana is able to access it, but she returns it to the library, as she doesn't want to use her powers. She tries to access it again, but it doesn't work. But then they discover that the book is just a piece of the puzzle, which involves Diana and the future.

Honestly, I'm ready for the next book to come out. The book left you hanging, and we know that another book will follow. And for those of you still scoffing at my book, even NPR liked it. So there!

www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2011/02/09/133618903/the-surprising-charms-of-a-discovery-of-witches

If you give it a read, let me know what you think!

No comments: