Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Early Wake-up Call

For those that know me well or even a little bit, they know that I am in general not a morning person. Just ask Mary Beth who once made the mistake of talking to me before a 5K race to support breast cancer prevention/research. I apologize again. I just don't like to talk a lot in the morning.

All of you can understand the sacrifice I'm making. Not only am I doing sprints at 6:30, but this morning a new low, squats with turns down and back (50 ft) each way, as our instructor says this is what the Navy Seals do with rifles over their heads, but also getting up at 5:30, okay 5:45 a.m. This is why I would never join the military, along with many other reasons. I will do something of my own choice, but I hate being forced to do it! It's my independent streak that I just haven't outgrown.

Maybe that's why I like yoga so much. Yoga is a practice that you decide when you're ready to do or at least attempt an arm balance or other cool move. And you let your body tell you hell no, no, maybe, okay, or definitely. Last night my body was telling me that boot camp and yoga complement each other, but ultimately make you work that much harder by focusing on two very different disciplines. Mostly my body told me that focusing on arms two days in a row is really hard.

For me yoga is about taking the time to turn inward to be still and listen and gain awareness. As I've developed with yoga I've realized that each move does lead to the next. A nice life lesson if you think about it. Last night, I really took the time to 'check-in and take stock' as I've been dealing with some work stress. My realization was that our lives are a series of yin and yang. As others can attest I do tend to overdo it sometimes, and then I need to reclaim and find some sort of balance. I'm slowly getting better at this process, and I'm realizing that despite life's roaring currents I need to stay settled and centered within (easier said than done).

Let's face it, the exercise I'm consistent with involves community. The boot camp crew is supportive as we all are in pain together. There's something special about that. And with yoga we now go to Agave afterward for $2 taco tuesday. This strengths the resolve to be there to see people you like and give your body and mind what they need. We all want to be connected and if it involves push-ups or an arm balance at least we're in it together.

Tip to get more steps in your day:
Becky, Bethany and I started a daily 20 to 40 minute walk during work. We go, and it helps energize us, and it gives us a chance to chat. Thanks for the support!

Tuesday stats
Workout: 90 minutes yoga
Food choices: Good!
No alcohol, and trust me the margs at taco tues looked really good. But as a friend mentioned I will be really popular now as the dd.
Expenses: $8 food, library (free), cheap day!
Creativity: 45 minutes spent on exercises for my life entrepreneur plan. Blog time. And dialogue with friends who helped me come up with ideas and reminded me that the changes I'm making though difficult and maddening to implement are worth it.

No comments: