Monday, June 30, 2008

Weekend Warrior

I have to admit that sometimes that phrase wouldn't stand for healthy choices! But this weekend it does. There really is something about accountability. It started with Friday night, which was pretty easy. I hung out with Jason and Kendra. We went to Flight Days at Eagle to hear live music and sample the food. Funnel cakes were available, but we skipped them and headed to the BBQ tent instead for pulled pork sandwiches. I had cole slaw on the side, and then I got an ice cream cone. (Summer always makes me want ice cream!)

Saturday after waking up with major allergy issues (and getting heavily medicated) I spent some time at flight days...and I admit I had more bbq and ice cream, however, some of my friends drank all day and night, and I didn't. For those who know what the Brush Creek Saloon is like...I managed to be there until 11 p.m. without drinking. That in itself is a true accomplishment! It helped that my favorite local band, The Laughing Bones was playing. After being hit on by the third, scary drunk guy I had to leave. I just couldn't take it, anymore. So I went home and watched the end of a movie and went to bed.

Sunday I was really started to feel rejuvenated. I went to lunch with friends (grilled chicken this time--more healthy), and then I went to get a manicure/pedicure with the money I saved from not drinking. Nice bonus factor! Then I went home to do laundry/clean, and Sunday early evening met Kendra and the dogs for a short hike and catchup. So overall the weekend was fairly successful. I could have exercised more. I could have eaten a little better, but overall I made it through the unstructured weekend! The best part is that I'm feeling good, and I'm getting healthier.

Congrats to Becky, Bethany and Amy for completing their first triathlon this weekend. You're all awesome, and you've set the bar. I'm signing up for the Glenwood Springs triathlon on Sept. 7th to follow your examples.

Friday/Saturday/Sunday stats (sorry I didn't feel like using my computer this weekend--I needed a tech break as well.)
No alcohol! Today is Day 9.
Food: okay, but not as good as I would like
Workouts: hike, walking, (need to push it more on the weekends, but I did make it--albeit late to bootcamp this morning)
Creativity: I think it's coming back. I did some reading, and I thought about some writing projects to start this week, besides the blog. Also, check out the Vail Daily and search for my name if you want to read my column that appeared in Saturday's paper. www.vaildaily.com

1 comment:

MB said...

how you passed on the funnel cake is beyond me... good job over the weekend! keep it up.
have you started to think about what you want to see and do in Australia?