Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Meetings and working from home

Have you ever really thought about meetings? Many times they are just another listing on your calendar. The most difficult ones are those that you attend where nothing happens. Let's be honest without a solid agenda and a good facilitator most meetings could be skipped.

Today I had a productive meeting that ended a bit early, now that's awesome. I try to ensure that any meeting I facilitate are well-scheduled and to the point. When I know it's successful is when people linger to talk and catch up afterwards. There really is an art to holding a meeting. I have learned from some of the best, so I can't lay claim to having any sort of gift. But I listen, learn, and I get lots of practice holding meetings. Sorry everyone I work with...thanks for showing up.

Yesterday our work email was down. You don't realize how much you rely on email until it's gone. Then suddenly your immobilized, because you don't get that window to interrupt you with read this, now! I always say I'm only going to check it three times a day. Someday I'll master that skill.

Like anything you have to set your priorities and eliminate distractions. Speaking of eliminating distractions working from home is one way to do it. Once in awhile, I work from home, especially when I've got two meetings downvalley. It's so quiet here that I actually get stuff done, and I get to take a break to write in my blog. Nice change of pace, but usually I like to be at the office around a great group of office mates. But once in awhile with gas prices sky high it's nice to see the aspen trees outside the dining room window.

Tonight I'm taking a walk! Then it's time to focus on my needs. I have some finances to look at, some goals to set, and some relaxing to do.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I was just reading something about how many people check their email repeatedly throughout the day and if we didn't do that, we could use that time for something else and stay focused.
It's hard...I am always checking, because my computer is just right there, and I'll use it to look something up, and it's so easy to just click on my email to check. Then I get distracted again. Of course most of my day is just me getting distracted so I'm not sure it would make much of a difference if I stopped checking email so much.