Friday, September 26, 2008

Spirituality in Leadership

After my spirituality in leadership dialogue class last night I left feeling uncomfortable and a bit unsettled, until I sort of clarified what was going on by talking to my friend Curtis after class. For the past two years I've been on a path of self discovery with leadership as my compass. What I've discovered is that during that path of identifying my values and my leadership style I have become more fluidly connected to my spirituality.

I realize that the two concepts for me (spirituality & leadership) or to describe it in another way, leading with love versus fear, are interwoven. Part of this process has been about me being able to share my deepest thoughts with people and trust that they will embrace my perspective and honor my voice. And what we've created and built is a 'tribe' and solid relationships. Someone said that spirituality is what holds this learning circle process together.

For me all of this stresses the interconnectedness of us all, and the inherent goodness of humanity that exists when we can find the common ground. It was a bit challenging as I really took listening to heart, and I tried to stop thinking about my comment and instead enjoyed hearing other people share their stories.

To design your best life you need others to help guide you on this path. You need to connect and to seek to understand.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I am curious as to what exactly you mean by "spirituality." Is there a good definition used in your class?