Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thoughts to ponder: Listen, Be Consistent

The old adage is that showing up is the half the battle. I would add that the rest of it is choosing your attitude, being consistent to your values, and finally stopping to listen, really listen. Tonight I'm joining a class called Leadership & Spirituality. This class is noncredit, voluntary. All you have to do is read the same reading, then think about prechosen dialogue questions, and finally show up, listen deeply, and respond with your thoughts building upon other people's observations and perspectives.

Dialogue is much more in-depth than discussion. Normally, we talk, but to truly dialogue requires more listening, more thoughtfulness, ability to suspend judgment, and a willingness to stop formulating your answer while someone else is talking.

The Vail Leadership Institute offers this statement about dialogue: "While dialogue is an old process, used by Socrates and by many Native Americans, David Bohm, a theoretical physicist with an interest in consciousness, brought it the attention of thought-leaders more recently as a way of developing coherent shared meaning. Bohm suggested that dialogue is a 'stream of meaning flowing among and through us and between us.' When used with groups, it makes possible a flow of conversation 'out of which will emerge some new understanding.'"

Today I really tried to listen as a facilitated a meeting about mission. I tried to stop formulating my answers and responding. I did okay, but now I have something to practice and over time with consistency I will get better and better at leading a dialogue versus a discussion.

To design your best life it does require you to be consistent to your values and goals. How do you maintain consistency in your life?

2 comments:

Ruth said...

To answer your question, I have no consistency in my life. I am enjoying your thoughts and insights. I'm really glad you have this blog. Thanks for sharing what you are thinking about.

Cristina said...

I appreciate you for leaving comments, and truly the question is can I apply this to my own life?