Monday, April 18, 2011

Be careful

My mom is known to utter this phrase. My brother and I are actually going to write a book a book called, "Be careful or you might...". The thing is that this time she was right.


I was just going on a hike with my friend Ruth. My mom's worry was that I would slip on the ice from the remaining snow. Oh it was slippery but that wasn't why I needed to be careful. Instead I ran smack into a branch. Thank goodness for sunglasses my eye is okay, but the area around my eye is swollen and cut up. I look like I was in a fight or that I was abused.

Even so I toughed it out and completed the hike up to Hanging Lake. On the way down the sun was completely gone so I didn't wear my sunglasses. You should have seen some of the looks I got. No one said anything until this guy just said simply, "are you okay?" It was a nice way to ask, and it was a welcome change to the looks I was receiving.

It seems most people don't want to get involved. Instead they want to look away. I had all these great stories to share: I was in a bar fight, I saved someone. You name it. Anyway, truthfully I'm clutzy, and I didn't see the branch at eye level. I'm okay, but bruised, and I'm hoping it doesn't leave a scar. The good news is the hikers ahead of us had a first aid kit. I guarantee that they were the only ones on the entire trail with a first aid kit. Go figure.

Despite the mishap it was a beautiful hike and a great way to celebrate Ruth's birthday. Just remember to be careful or you might...

No comments: