Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Is our dependence on technology good or bad?

I don't know about you, but for me sitting in one room listening and learning is actually tougher than before. Why? Well one of my theories is that with technology and our need to multi-task constantly it is actually difficult to just sit and listen.

Yesterday I was in a eight-hour training. I am now a certified QPR Suicide Prevention trainer. Yeah! (Even so just sitting there I realized college would be tougher now, as I'm so used to constant tech access). I mean I had my phone on vibrate. When I got out I have 50 emails, three voicemails, and a couple texts, and don't forget a Facebook request from someone I don't know. Ignore.



There is a book out called, "The Winter of Our Disconnect," by Susan Maushart. Disclaimer: I haven't read the book, but I've seen a few articles about the experiment. Basically, this women and her three teenagers took off six months from technology at home. Her kids could use the computers at the library or at friend's houses for homework, but otherwise at home it was a no tech zone. Did I mention the mom said that she slept with her iphone. (What's wrong with that?) Anyway, the result was a happier more connected family.

One daughter now prefers the library to get things done in a quiet space. Before she thought her mom was crazy for needing quiet to get things done. Her son gave up his souped up gaming computer to get a saxophone. It does make you wonder about our dependency on technology. Meanwhile I'm writing in a blog. Yes, I see the irony.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Technology itself is not inherently good or bad, but it can be used for either. Think of all the ways we use technology every day to help us learn, accomplish things, connect with people or do simple tasks more quickly. It can certainly lead to decreased productivity and wasted time though. And then there's the dark side which ranges from annoying to truly scary. But I think overall, the positives outweigh the negatives.
As for our dependence on it, I think dependence on anything can create problems. We shouldn't let ourselves forget how to live without the crutch of technology. It's good to take a break now and then, and get back to basics. Sounds like an interesting read.