Friday, April 22, 2011

How do you stay motivated when you hit a plateau?

Well last night I worked out with a personal trainer for the first time. This is my first time actually working out with a trainer, and it was great to have someone else directing me to workout for an hour. (No slacking off is allowed). If only I could work out with a trainer five days a week. No really just this weekly meeting sets a tone for the rest of the week's activities.


Last week my personal trainer asked me to keep a food journal. It wasn't my best week with two birthdays and my friend Ruth in town. I had more cake and wine than I normally do. But even so writing your food choices down makes you think about what you are eating and why. You have to look at both your food choices and your level of activity.

For me, I am consistent in that I do exercise each week, but it varies how much, I average about two to four times per week. I would like to get to five to six times per week. The reason is that with two to three times per week I just maintain. Since I'm trying to lose weight I know I need to up the activity levels. (And continue to focus on what I'm eating).

I started this health focus in January, and I've done well, albeit the process has been slow. Now I'm trying to speed it up by working with a trainer, varying my workouts, getting outside, and paying better attention to my food choices.

Writing down what you eat and what exercise you complete does make a difference. Then you can see on paper how the week went. You can then gauge your results with that formula and adjust accordingly. I actually know a lot about health and fitness, but applying it is another thing. Also, you have to figure out what works for you.

Sometimes I wish there was a quick fix. (Obviously, I'm not the only one or the weight-loss industry wouldn't be making billions). But I know that a quick fix isn't the answer, and it has to be a lifestyle change. Now if only I can get a personal chef.

I would love to hear how you get past the plateau and stay motivated. We can help each other.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

My (very lengthy) response is on my blog at www.insightfulish.com

Cristina said...

I just read it, and it was really insightful. Thanks!